Thursday, March 26, 2009

Day 1 - Where to Start

Are you new to couponing? Maybe you are new to this blog, and you love the idea of saving money but you are overwhelmed by all the deals and you simply don't know where to start. I am going to spend the next 5 days walking you through how to get set up and ready to run. We will talk about basics on how to coupon as well as strategies I used during the 5 news segment to save over $50.00 in one shopping trip.

Are you ready? Let's start saving!

Step 1 - Create an Email Account for Coupon Sites

Sign up with Gmail for a free email account so you don't have to deal with tons of newsletters coming into your personal email.

Step 2 - Sign up for a Free phone number

Sign up with Voicemail 4 Free to get a free local phone number. I use this number when signing up for offers since all I have is a cell phone number. That way I don't have to use my cell phone, and I don't have to give out all my personal information.

It only takes a second to complete (and I used my junk email when signing up)

Step 3 - Start Collecting Coupons

If you don't get the Sunday Newspaper, Stop by a gas station each Sunday and pick one up. Go for a Statewide paper (Arkansas Democrat Gazette) because these typically have all the best coupons.

Create a place on your desk where you can keep Internet Coupons that you have printed. I typically print these as I find them because they disappear fast. I put them in a pile on my desk and cut them out when I do my weekly coupon clipping.

Step 4 - Find a Place to Store your coupons.

I started with an Expanding Folder that I carried in my purse and eventually moved to a binder.
If you are using the binder system here's what you need:
Binder
Plastic Folder Dividers (The Paper ones will rip)
Trading Card Sheet Protectors

Step 5 - Organize your coupons


I sit down once a week and go through all my coupons. Here's my method:

Cut out all coupons you are going to use from the Sunday Inserts. Ask yourself: Would I want this coupon if I found a good deal on this product, if the answer is yes, then cut it out.

Cut and file all my Internet coupons at the same time.

Save all your inserts by date

File Coupons by Category:
Free Stuff
Food
Toiletries
Medicine
Beauty
Baby
Cleaning

You can find a more detailed list Here and Here

2 comments:

  1. I also have a "free stuff" category in my binder! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was so tired of letting my great "freebies" expire b/c they were lost in piles. I just found your blog and I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristin,

    I was like you, I didn't have one for the longest time and now that I do It is 10 times easier!

    Thanks for reading!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete